- Take a deep breath – When we’re stressed, we tend to take short shallow breaths. By taking a long deep breath, this forces your body to relax and de-stress.
- Move your body- Movement releases endorphins which make us feel happier and less stressed. Try going for a walk, dancing, biking, and hiking – anything that gets your body moving will do the trick!
- Think about something that you’re grateful for - Gratitude fills your heart with happy thoughts and shifts the focus from stress to happiness. Your thoughts of gratitude could be anything from having someone special in your life, a pet, a treasured possession, the sun shining or even the fresh rain falling down.
- Do something nice for someone – This could be a random act of kindness. Anything like calling a loved one or buying the coffee for the person behind you in line. Do something kind that would put a smile on someone else’s face. By focusing on creating happiness for someone else, this feeling will go full circle and make you feel happier (and less stressed) !
- Laugh- When we laugh, it releases happy brain chemicals that counteract stress. Find something funny on youtube, watch a funny show or call a friend that makes you laugh. If all else fails, just start to laugh at nothing – it will feel fake at first, but your body will still release the happy chemicals that will make you feel better fast!
There’s also a supplement to consider called L-Theanine. This is a natural supplement that helps your brain feel calm yet focused. L-Theanine is the calming compound found in green tea, but without the caffeine present in green tea. An easy and delicious way to try L-Theanine is in Adaptuit, which also contains adaptogens and antioxidants to help your body fight stress.